Monday, August 9, 2010

Illegitimate...Unqualified...Conspiracy!!! What To Believe?

Conspiracy theories have continuously been a topic of discussion and great concern in our society, but it has also been a great interest for me.  Do I believe in conspiracy theories?  I will just say that anything is possible!  There has been much speculation that people such as our Founding Father's,  past Presidents and the current President of our country have had some secret and seek to rule our country and take away our freedoms.  What captured my interest for this assignment was this ariticle from CNN which makes a claim that "...presidential illegitimacy have risen as respect for the office has fallen."  Yes, every presidential candidate will NEVER meet EVERY citizen's expectations in one presidential term,  I do not have to think, because I know that this will never occur, because 'you' cannot please everyone.  President's have been said to be illegitimate because people felt they were not qualified for the position.  They have been considered illegitimate because of some of their choices as President, concerns over what they wear, and even for Obama "...coming seemingly out of nowhere to win the presidency...."  I believe that things such as policies that Presidents have formed would have caused me to be suspicious and find them illegitimate, but other things are very amusing and to a certain degree down right ignorant.  According to Constitution we, the governed have the right to 'make changes to our government' if we do not feel that officials are doing their job.  We have the power to vote, my point being that if people believe the President to be illegitimate or believe in different conspiracy theories, why don't WE fight for change or fight for answers.  Though ideas and opinions have been brought up, can we truly judge ANY person without evidence and just hear-say?  Facts are needed!  

1 comment:

  1. Conspiracy theories have also been of great interest to me. I have spoken briefly with Professor Seago concerning the nature of these theories. I've concluded that humans have always been and will always be skeptical by nature. It is quite natural to question the world around us, and it is only right to question the legitimacy of our leaders. The fact that we, as American citizens, always do not receive the complete truth gives us this right to question. You mention fighting for change in the case that we don't believe in the legitimacy of our President. I think this feeling of illegitimacy goes hand in hand with lack of political participation. Hypothetically, if I feel distrust in the government and President, I will most likely not feel the need to participate in politics. At the end of the day, I take conspiracy theories with a grain of salt. They sure are interesting, though.

    ReplyDelete