Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Commentary about Prop 8

I could not have agreed more with my peer Edgar Jann Palomo's editorial "Prop 8" about Proposition 8 and the outrage over homosexual marriages.  I will try not to focus on my religious views as much.  As we know this topic is among popularity with Arizona's immigration law.  Just last week Judge Vaughn Walker overturned Proposition 8, in which 52% of voters were against allowing same-sex marriages in California.  I am a heterosexual female, but I do support homosexual marriage.  I believe everyone has the right to love and to be happy in what ever way they may choose.  Homosexuals are a minority along with hispanics and african americans, so why follow in the footsteps of our past, and oppress someone because they are not like the majority?

Edgar states how although homosexuality is a sin in the Bible, he believes the Bible is similar to our Constitution, in which it was written "...to adapt to societal changes."  Well Edgar, I am religious, however I am not angered by anything that you have stated, shocking right?  Well I actually have the same thoughts as you.  Yes, I do follow rules according to the Bible, as much as I can, but you cannot expect everyone to do the same, which goes along with the diversity of our country.  Yes the Bible states that homosexuality is a sin, but believe me everyone sins on a daily basis and Jesus did die for our sins.  But the way that I have come to think of it is that not only do people have different religions and beliefs, but regardless they are going to do what they want to, and who are we to get in the way of that?  If they are stopped then they will find some way to get around that barrier, as we have seen they are more than determined to fight for their rights.  I suppose that our country as a whole may be opposed to homosexuality because they may think that if their children are exposed to it then 'it will have an affect on them' too.  If this is a thought, then obviously the same can and should be said for today's secular and sexual music, which kids pick up on faster than they do school assignments.

Back to the subject at hand, what I agree with most is that individuals should not look down on or try to force their views or opinions on others to make them conform to their ways.  As I have previously stated I am religious, but personally I could care less what someone else does, as long as I know what I am.  People should live life how they choose, and deal with what ever consequences there may be.  "People should be allowed to live their life as they please."

Great editorial Edgar!       

No comments:

Post a Comment